Some Significant Dates in the History of All Saints
23/10/1855 - Foundation stone laid by The Bishop of Oxford Samuel Wilberforce. The land was purchased by the Hulme sisters, Emily and Maria.
2/12/1857 - All Saints, Boyne Hill completed and dedicated by Bishop Samuel Wilberforce
The Revd William Gresley was the first incumbent. George Street designed the complex of buildings born out of the Tractarian Movement. He designed a building that had beautiful surroundings for the celebration of the Eucharist and to enable worship for all people to the glory of God. Following the mission of the tractarians a vicarage and school were built, the latter offering education for the young. Later the Almshouses were built for the need of single women.
6/4/1858 - Her Majesty approved the assignment of "The District Chapelry of Boyne-hill" to the consecrated Church of All Saints, situate at Boyne-hill, in the parish of Bray........
This was published in the April 10th 1858 SUPPLEMENT to the LONDON GAZETTE - a pdf copy of which can be seen, and downloaded, here.
1859 - The Clergy house completed for curates to offer pastoral care in the parish
1862 - The Almshouses built with money from Miss Frances Mary Lamotte. Rules and regulations for the residents drawn up on All Saints day 1862
1865 - Tower and Spire added with the benefactors being Emma and Frances Mary Lamotte
1/11/1907 All Saints Day - Jubilee of the church celebrated in the presence of Dr Paget, the then Bishop of Oxford. idea that the Jubilee Memorial should be marked by an extension to the church. Canon Arthur Drummond was the incumbent at that time.
11/7/1910 - Foundation stone for the extension lady by Lady Desboorough
9/2/1911 - Dedication service for the extension by the Bishop of Oxford.
2007 - 150th anniversary of the church marked by a year of mission activities and guest speakers and partnership with the Church Schools
2015 - Mark's the 125th anniversary of Boyn Hill Cricket Club. Canon Drummond was a member of the original committee that set the club up.
Another important feature of the history is that Gresley had a great interest in the education of the young and this was reflected in the early success of the church schools in the area